Sunday, December 26, 2010

An American Christmas in Armenia

Sister Rich and the Single Adult Representatives


A pretty good crowd for the over 30's group.

One of the Branch Presidents and one of the Translators.

Part of the "talent" show.
The second event was a party for the young single adults.  This was held on December 23d.  It was a much louder party.


Elder Rich's 2nd chance to perform.
Unfortunately we forgot our camera that night.  There were about 80 or 90 young people in attendance.  They came from all of the Branches in Armenia and a couple of guys made it down from Georgia.  Most of these kids don't go to Church very often, but they will always attend any kind of social activity.

The next activity was on Friday, December 24th, it was a Zone Conference.  It started out with a very spiritual talk by the Mission President and then his wife read a really neat poem.  This is about a mother sending her son on a Mission.  Sister Carter said that it applies to all of our families, both young and old.  We loved it so much that we are including it in the blog.


Missionary Christmas
I skipped the sales after Thanksgiving. The thrill just wasn't there.
No pictures taken with Santa Claus. My decorating has no flair.
His presents are shoes, shirts, and ties, two suits and socks... no fun.
I've bought him white clothes because... this year I'm giving Christ my son.

I've spent more time in the temple, my testimony stirred.
I've re-read November's Ensign, felt strength come from His words.
Our family prays more frequently. My tears are quick to run.
Heaven seems closer because… this year I'm giving Christ my son.

I wonder how those Lamanite mothers, gave their sons to war?
Or how the pioneers chose Zion, their sacrifice was so much more.
My loss will be his presence, I'll miss his smile a ton.
For two years we will pray for him. I'm giving Christ my son.

I stare at his face when he's not looking. I memorize his eyes, their shine.
He's always hungered for the part of him that makes his soul divine.
The stories and lessons he always heard, his choice and mine are one.
I'll put my faith in God's hand. I'm giving Him my son.

Past gifts have lost their glitter. I think I finally understand.
Christ's birth should be celebrated by giving Him a hand.
It's because I know Christ lives and reigns that all his packing's done.
My gift has taken years to make. This year... I'm giving Christ my son.

I know there's One who understands, the sacrifice I'm making.
Who knows the gift I willingly give, the toll it will be taking.
For He has done it all before, greater love - there could be none.
For years ago God gave to me, His only begotten son.

The hands I washed, the hands I held, the hands I taught to pray,
Now knock on doors to find the ones who will listen to what he'll say.
Because I know Christ needs him, until all the gathering's done,
My gift has taken years to make. This year... I'm giving Christ
my son.


 We are thanking all of our family for their sacrifice so that we could come on our Mission, and we do understand the sacrifice.

Now, for a few pictures of the party.
Typical Armenian Food - Sharma Chicken






President Carter with his new hat from the White Elephant Game

The White Elephant Game

Once Again part of the entertainment

This was the "Alvin and the Chipmonks"

Master of Ceremonies 47 second intermission

Santa Rap

Sister Crawford really knows how to play, Elder Rich's violin

The Yerevan Armenia Mission South Zone

At last, December 25th, Christmas day.  It started with a Senior Missionary lunch at the Mission Home. The dinner was pure American, except the bread, which was Armenian.  It was great and Sister Rich made the gravy and it was wonderful.

Part of the Kitchen Crew

Watching bits on LDS.org

The VanDykes playing the Zither.  The fuzzy thing is a Georgian Christmas Tree carved from a stick.

Playing Christmas Carols for a sing a long

Gingerbread Houses. Sister Pincock was a second grade teacher.

Elder and Sister Rich's houses.  The pretty one belongs to Sister Rich

Real pumpkin pie

The second event on Christmas was a Baptism for three men.  What a great event.  The Spirit was in abundance.

One of the Branch Presidents - Narek

She is a very good pianist - Geghetsik

One of the men and the Elders

The other Branch President - Sargis

The third event on Christmas was a party at our Branch.  We were pretty tired by the time we got there, but it was still a lot of fun. 

The Sisters preparing for the Nativity

The Nativity




Ever seen sparklers at a Christmas party?

They have beautiful children

Sorry about the red eye

Our Branch President and Santa

The Shengavits Branch

This was a very unusual Christmas, but one of the most spiritual ones that either one of us has experienced.  It was not as unusual as December 1968 for Elder Rich (Viet Nam).  We have really loved it.  We got a chance to Skype with some of our children on Christmas, either our time or theirs.  We love all of you and miss all of you.  Have a very Merry Christmas from Elder and Sister Rich, Yerevan Armenia Mission.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing.
    I didn't know you played the violin.
    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your whole blog. Just got the address.
    Really enjoyed seeing all the pictures and
    learning more about Armenia & your mission.
    Thanks. God bless you in your work.
    Nebekers :0)
    PS... we just got home from Mozambique, Africa
    from our mission in Sept. Good to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John I am so impressed that you are sharing your talents with others. I'm looking forward to hearing you play for us too:)
    Gloria you look so radiant and happy!
    What a neat Christmas experience.
    Keep up the great work.
    Hugs..:)

    ReplyDelete